Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Guest Blog: The Next 56 Days

(Dr. Chad Note - I get exposed to nutritional programs all the time, and I usually take what I hear with a grain of salt until I get some good testimonials from people I know and trust.  The Next 56 Days, based on what I have seen, is just different from other programs.  So, if you are looking to change the way you eat, lose weight, and take the next step with your health, read these powerful guest blog posts from Tana Walker and Troy Hurst)

-----------------
 
It's funny how dates aren't important until they are important.  For Kevin and me, that date was July 18, 2018. We walked into the Wallburg Emporium to learn about a new weight loss program my friend's mom had told me about and had success with.  We didn't know what to expect, but we knew we HAD to do something.  We were truly just surviving our days and have 4 kids we need to be here for.  Little did we know what the Lord had in store for us, since that date a year and a half ago.  We were taught over the course of 56 days how to read food labels.  We were taught about additives and preservatives and their effects on the body, how chemicals play a role in the toxicity of our cells, and so much more. 
 
The Next 56 Days has 4 principle parts: first and foremost , the goal is to balance blood sugar, second to decrease inflammation, third to detox your body, and the fourth is to release fat.  In accomplishing the first 3, the fourth (fat release: the reason most people join the program) will happen.  At the end of our first 56 days, because of the positive experience I had, and how it changed my life birthed in me the desire to coach others on their journeys.  It is my heart's sincerest desire to help people in their own battle/struggle with food. 
 
We went back in October that year to cement what we learned in the first 56 days.  Well, our second round ended the week after Thanksgiving.  We had a completely The Next 56 Days approved Thanksgiving: roasted turkey, collard greens, butternut squash, pumpkin pie, and chocolate cake.  You see, we still get to have these delicious foods, just in a way that doesn't spike blood sugar or cause inflammatory responses.  Then came Christmas.  Again, everything prepared was completely 56 approved, right down to the apple cobbler and turkey gravy. 
 
We returned to the Wallburg Emporium in January 2019 for what I thought was going to be our third round.  However, when we arrived Steve was the only coach there in a room full of people wanting to start this amazing program.  He needed help!!  I jumped in and have been coaching ever since.  I love this program so much. I love that is was founded locally in Thomasville, NC.  The founders, Steve and Carrie, are two of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.   It's comprehensive and completely doable. It was not designed to be a diet.  It is a lifestyle change.  We've been eating The Next 56 Days way for way longer than 56 days now.  We have no desire to go back to eating fast food or stuffing our faces with sugar every chance we got.  It's been a year and a half. 
 
Kevin and I have collectively released 143 pounds.  We haven't had sugar in over 18 months.  Never in my life did I ever think I'd be able to say that.  We feel so much better.  We're nicer.  We have energy.  We sleep well.  Who knew that mineral deficiencies and bad food choices caused retched sleep!?  Our oldest son, Dom (12) has released 25 pounds also.   The thing we needed most was the accountability it provided us by giving us our own personal coach. Our coach, Christy Murphy, has played a huge role in our success.  Not only was she our coach, we are friends now.  She has been key to me coaching and teaching, and now, stepping out and hosting/leading my own classes. 
 
If you are interested in changing your life for the better, please join Kevin and me at The Bridge Fellowship (family room), 1080 Snowbridge Lane, in Kernersville on Saturday, February 8th at 1:00, for the free introduction to The Next 56 Days.  We'd love to help you realistically meet your goals for a healthier you.  If you are unable to join us in Kernersville you can go to www.thenext56days.com/liveclasses to find a class near you, OR you can go to www.thenext56days.com to join the online courses.  I'd love to help you in any way possible.  
 
In His Service,
 
Tana Walker
 
-----------------------
 
My name is Troy Hurst and in January 2016, I went to see my family physician at the urging of my wife for my yearly annual physical. I knew I did not feel well most days, as I was out of shape, overweight and not sleeping well. My doctor jokingly congratulated me on having “Middle Age Man Syndrome” which basically correlated to: High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Pre-Diabetic and acute Acid Reflux. Of course he immediately started me on a myriad of medications to help control my symptoms and suggested I lose weight, but no recommendation on how to make that happen. I have struggled with weight, most of my adult life, but it was the other symptoms of high blood pressure and diabetes that had me concerned, as this ran in my family. I wanted to avoid becoming like my uncles and grandparents, popping pills to help control these “normal routine symptoms of life” while navigating a poor southern diet.  I am a reflexologist and started noticing several of my clients, who were experiencing significant weight loss. I asked them what was their secret, and they mentioned the Next 56 Days program. I eagerly attended a meeting thinking there could be hope for me and I can honestly say, it was one the best decisions I have ever made!

My wife Rhonda and I started the Next 56 Days journey on January 9th, 2019, with me weighing in at 236 lbs, with high blood pressure (185/130), high cholesterol, diabetic with an A1C of 8.3 and taking Prilosec each day for acid reflux, all while taking my other meds. I was pleasantly surprised to learn how easy the program was, by modifying my food choices and understanding how the body processes food. The 8 week class focuses on 3 basic principles: Detox the Body, Reduce Inflammation, Balance Blood Sugar and the natural byproduct of this is fat loss. The first 10 days on the program was brutal, as I was detoxing from sugar and other processed ingredients, found in most foods. However, I started noticing that I had more energy and I did not need to take my acid reflux medication. At my weekly weigh-ins, I was starting to release fat and had dropped 15 lbs in just a few weeks. By the end of the first round of the class, I had successfully released 27 lbs and no longer needed my medications! My blood pressure was 118/70 and A1C had dropped to 5.9. We were ecstatic by the results of our hard work and the ease of the program.

We decided to take another round of classes and continued releasing fat. By September 2019, I had lost a total of 52 lbs and my wife had lost 75 lbs by December. Because of this life changing program, we now have more energy, rest better (with no snoring), take no medication and feel younger than we did when we were 30! We are now coaches with the Next 56 Days and enjoy teaching and inspiring others. If you have struggled to find a solution concerning weight loss, with the ability to keep it off and sustain a healthy lifestyle, we encourage you to learn more. Please visit https://thenext56days.com/ where you will find local classes (including ours in Winston-Salem) or participate in the online version of the program. A healthy life is achievable and You Can Do It!

Troy Hurst is a reflexologist in Winston-Salem and manages The Wellness Collective, a holistic wellness center. Please visit his website for additional information, www.planetreflex.com.

--------------

TheNext56Days program is not REALLY a diet; rather, it’s a lifestyle change focused on lowering blood sugar, reducing inflammation, detoxing, and releasing fat.  I’m very grateful to have accomplished those four goals since July 2019!  I’ve never enjoyed cooking for myself, eating out especially during the 10 years or so I traveled for business.  Although I’ve been overweight for at least 40 years, I had other priorities that demanded my attention, specifically dealing with a rare neurologic condition the last 6 years.  Living life with life-changing circumstances was uppermost on my radar, and becoming healthier in other areas was not a priority, in spite of many gracious encouragements from Dr. Chad and others.  However, a friend introduced me to TheNext56Days, and three friends and I joined our first class.  Although skeptical, I found I really enjoyed learning about food, reading labels, and how to live a healthier life—Plus, I made several new friends, including the TN56D coaches.  Classes were fun and motivating, and I found I began to enjoy experimenting with foods I’d previously never dream of cooking or eating.  The coaches, in particular, were so helpful and encouraging, and I never felt alone in this effort, as each of the participants was supported at every opportunity.  

In December, I had my first lab work and medical appointment since starting the program, and my internist was amazed at the differences.  He asked lots of questions, even saying I’d made his day with my progress.  Most impressive was the difference in my Hemoglobin A1c, which dropped from 6.3 to 5.3.  He discontinued Metformin, a medication I’d been on for about 4 years.  Other lab results were also impressive: 

                Cholesterol         158 to 136
                HDL                        62 to 65
                Non-HDL              96 to 71
                Tot Cholesterol 25 to 21
                Triglycerides       99 to 74
                ALT                         32 to 20
                AST                        26 to 22

My internist also discontinued Lisinopril for hypertension—a med I’d been on for about 30 years!!!  So I’m now on NO prescription meds and feel the best I’ve felt in years.  And I’m not done . . . As I said, it’s a LIFESTYLE change.   I’ve lost 28.5 inches and am down 2 or 3 clothing sizes. 
The last 2 months have been stressful due to the holidays with extra responsibilities due to my father’s declining physical health and passing.  I have not adhered to the program like previously, but I have not GAINED any of the weight I’d previously released.  I’ve maintained in spite of unusual stress and a regression of eating habits.  Now I’m back to another class—and anticipated SUCCESS ONCE AGAIN!  

I’m so grateful for Steve Teglas and Carrie Hicks who created this program, my first coaches Troy and Rhonda Hurst, and the other coaches in the program who are so supportive!  And it’s also been a HUGE encouragement when friends and family are so complimentary. 

Sharon B Allred
 

No comments:

Post a Comment